A few weeks ago, Beau Lebens updated the Keyring Social Importers plugin and also released a plugin called People & Places. I use these plugins to import all of my Instagram pictures and then to tag each Instagram picture.
Taking this foundation, I was able to easily create a plugin to map all of the places where I’ve taken Instagram pictures. You can see that code here:
Here are some rough steps to get this going.
- Install/activate Keyring
- Install/activate Keyring Social Importers
- Install/activate People & Places
- Setup connection to Instagram and import pictures
- Install/activate Places Map Shortcode
- Create a Google Maps API key here: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/credentials
- In any post or page, you can use
Here’s an idea of what it’ll look like:
[places_map key=”AIzaSyBPGlbMUmhZ7EnCnT_d4MDpAnT0xbkA6SE” height=”600px”]
Thoughts on functionality
Currently, clicking the markers on the map takes you to the tag’s archive page. In the future, I’d like to modify the map so that it loads images via AJAX below the map.
In the future, I may also need to figure out how to handle many more locations. Currently, I only have 234 locations that I’m adding pins for. What happens when there are thousands? Hundreds of thousands?