While one of the websites migrated perfectly fine, the other website had issues with the WordPress importer failing. :/
My best guess of what was happening is that the GoDaddy max_execution_time was set quite low, which was causing the importer to fail. I confirmed this by downloading the phpinfo plugin which showed the following:
Let’s Increase the GoDaddy max_execution_time
It took a bit for me to figure out how to increase the max_execution on GoDaddy’s managed WordPress hosting, but after quite a bit of search I found an article on GoDaddy’s support portal that describes where to put the PHP initialization files for the varying GoDaddy hosting products.
Easily enough, the PHP initialization file for GoDaddy’s managed WordPress hosting is located at
html, which is the initial directory upon logging in to SFTP.
So, to increase GoDaddy max_execution_time, all I had to do was:
- Open an SFTP connection
- In the same directory as
wp-config.php, create a
.user.inifile. Note the leading
- Lastly, in this
.user.inifile, I added the following:
max_execution_time = 180
The above will increase the GoDaddy max_execution_time to 3 minutes, which you can verify yourself by using the phpinfo plugin mentioned above.
Unfortunately for me, increasing the GoDaddy max_execution_time didn’t fix my issue of the WordPress importer failing. I ended up moving my site to WP Engine which worked like a charm.